Florence center Santa Croce
The church of Santa Croce was built as a church of the mendicant order of the Franciscans from 1294 on, designed by Arnolfo di Cambio,
on the outskirts of the city at that time. The plan of the church corresponds to a "Tau" T shape.
The basilica has continued to be enriched and amended during the seven centuries after its founding,
acquiring new symbolic connotations: Franciscan church at 'Town Hall' religious for large
families and corporations, laboratory workshop and artistic theological centre, from Pantheon
glories of Italian such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile and Rossini,
place of reference of political history of pre-and post-unitary.
The slender tower dates back to 1847, opera by Gaetano Baccani.
Santa Croce has eleven chapels, plus other fives, located at the ends of the transept.
The monastery and the history of the museum At the basilica corresponded one of the largest monasteries citizens.
The fourteenth-century cloister which introduces the Chapel de' Pazzi is on the right side of the facade of the Basilica.
The Pazzi Chapel is a masterpiece by Filippo Brunelleschi and throughout the Renaissance architecture.