Florence center Palazzo Pitti ( Pitti Palace )
The Pitti palace was built in 1457 for Luca Pitti, a banker large opponent of the Medici.
The building grew to be an overwhelming project, forcing Pitti to sell it to the Medici in 1549.
The Pitti Palace is found in Piazza Pitti, in the splendid Oltrarno area in Florence, on the slopes
of the hills where one finds the Giardino di Boboli (Boboli gardens).
The Pitti Palace, which was formerly the residence of the grand-dukes of Tuscany and later of the King of Italy,
now houses several important collections of paintings and sculpture, works of art, porcelain and a costume gallery,
besides providing a magnificently decorated historical setting which extends to the Boboli Gardens, one of the earliest
Italian gardens famous also for its fountains and grottoes
The Palatine Gallery occupies the whole left wing of the first floor of the Pitti Palace, which was the residence of the Medici grand-dukes. In 1828,
when Tuscany came under the rule of the Lorraine family, the most important paintings in the Palace, most of which had been collected by the Medici,
were hung in the Gallery. It is an impressive collection comprising works by Raphael, Titian, Correggio, Rubens, Pietro da Cortona and other Italian
and European masters of the Renaissance and Baroque periods