Florence panorama
TOP 10 Florence museums
Infiniti Lavori

Florence museum: UFFIZI GALLERY

The first building of Uffizi gallery began in 1560, adopting the Doric order, according to Vasari. Three corridors run along the inside of the building.

Corridor on the east, rooms:
I dedicated to Archaeology
II dedicated to Giotto in the thirteenth and
III dedicated to the fourteenth century Siena
IV dedicated to the fourteenth century Florentine
from V to VI dedicated to the International Gothic
VII dedicated to the early Renaissance
VIII dedicated to Lippi
IX dedicated to the ninth Pollaiuolo
X to XIV dedicated to Botticelli
XV dedicated to Leonardo
XVI dedicated to maps
XVII dedicated hermaphroditic
XVIII dedicated to the eighteenth, the only original room of the Uffizi
XIX dedicated to Perugino and Signorelli
XX dedicated to the D�rer
XXI dedicated to Giovanni Bellini and Giorgione XXII dedicated to the Flemish and German Renaissance
XXIII dedicated to Mantegna and Correggio

The corridor on the Arno,
for its luminosity hosts the best ancient sculptures. Also you can see the Ponte Vecchio, the Arno and the hills south of Florence

Corridor on the west, open rooms:
XXV dedicated to Michelangelo and Florence
XXXVI dedicated to Raphael and Andrea del Sarto
XXVII dedicated to Pontormo and Rosso Fiorentino
XXVIII dedicated to Titian and Sebastiano del Piombo
XXIX dedicated to of Parmigianino and Dosso
XXX for the Cabinet of Emilian sixteenth
XXXI dedicated to the Veronese
XXXII dedicated to the Bassano and Tintoretto
XXXIII for the Corridor of the sixteenth century
XXXIV dedicated to Lombardi of the XVI century
XXXV dedicated to Barocci and Tuscan Counter
XLII dedicated to the Niobe
XLIII dedicated to the seventeenth century Italian and European
XLIV dedicated to Rembrandt and seventeenth-century Flemish
XLV dedicated to the eighteenth-century Italian and European
David

Florence museum : ACCADEMY GALLERY

The Academy Gallery is located in the place were two ancient monasteries were before, that of St. Matthew and St. Nicholas of female Cafaggio. Here is a final location of the sculptor Lorenzo Bartolini "calcoteca" (modelling sulpture) which was later added also casts the Tuscan sculptor Luigi Pampaloni. Four rooms have been arranged at the heart of Florentine late-Gothic paintings and a collection of icons the private collection of Russian Grand Dukes of Lorraine. To mark the fourth centenary of Michelangelo birth in 1873, the sculpture of David was moved to avoid significant damage to the exposure to the elements. Since then, the Academy began to be known as the "Museum of Michelangelo." In 1939 the acquisition was found in the Chapel of the Pieta Barberini in Palestrina. The collection of boards with a gold background, in the halls of the ground floor and first floor provides a complete view of artistic production between Giotto and Masaccio. In particular, the panels of the story of the life of Christ and St. Francis de Taddeo Gaddi, St. Lawrence and St. Bartholomew by Bernardo Daddi the triptych of Pentecost Andrea Orcagna. Also very interesting are: the Adimari Cassone, attributed to Giovanni di Ser Giovanni told The Shard, Saint Stephen with Saints James and Peter Ghirlandaio, the Madonna and Child with Saint John and two angels of Botticelli, Assumption of the Virgin by Pietro Perugino Venus and Cupid by Jacopo Pontormo.
Bargello Museum, Florence

Florence museum : BARGELLO NATIONAL MUSEUM

Around 1287 the balcony was built, the loggia overlooking the courtyard, where the Mayor gathered representatives of the Arts and Corporations. The tower houses the bell known as the Montanina, which sounded to rally citizens in case of war or siege. Up to 1502 the Palace was the official residence of the mayor, after it became the seat of the Council of Justice and police, whose chief was known as the "Bargello". In 1888 the French antique Louis Carrand gave the museum his collection of Gothic and Renaissance, as did Constantine Ressman in 1894, Ambassador and gun collector. In 1907 Giulio Franchetti instead donated his collection of tissues.
Bargello museum main Rooms:
the Hall of Michelangelo that shows works of the artist
Sala Jacopo Sansovino
the Hall of Benvenuto Cellini
the Hall of Donatello and other sculptors of the Florentine Renaissance is the Marzocco, emblem of the city of Florence
the Hall of majolica collection of the Bargello preserves the Medici collection, in particular that of Cosimo I, with rare examples of fifteenth-century factory of Deruta Cafaggiolo as well as important pieces of majolica from Urbino and Faenza The room contains works by Verrocchio in the second half of the fifteenth century Tuscan
Medici Chapel, Florence

Florence museum : MEDICI CHAPELS

The Church of San Lorenzo was later to become the church of the Medici family mausoleum to extinction of the family. John (1360-1429) was the first to be buried with his wife in the Sacristy of Piccarda Brunelleschi. Then, his son Cosimo the Elder was buried in a crypt under the main altar. It was Cardinal Giulio de 'Medici, future Pope Clement VII, to want to erect a mausoleum for worthy burial of members of his family. In 1520, Michelangelo began work starting from the Sacristy by Brunelleschi and completed them in 1524. The chapels are divided into three distinct parts:
Crypt:
Here are buried the less famous members of the Medici family.
Chapel of the Princes:
Here are buried six of the Medici Grand Dukes, the dome designed by Buontalenti was begun in 1604 and ended in the twentieth century. This mausoleum is a rare example of Baroque style in Florence
the New Sacristy:
by Michelangelo between 1520 and 1524 shows the illuminated grandeur of the Medici. Michelangelo worked on statues of the sarcophagus, but only the statues of the tombs of the Dukes Lorenzo and Julian were completed, the Allegory of Time - The Dawn and Sunset, Night and Day - and the group with the Madonna with Jesus on her lap placed above the sarcophagus of the two "beautiful" and accompanied by the statues of Saints Cosmas and Damian. The other statues were made by Baccio da Montelupo Montorsoli, followers of Michelangelo. The "Night" is considered one of the most beautiful works of Michelangelo.
ANGELICO, Fra Annunciation, c1450

Florence museum : SAN MARCO MUSEUM

The museum is housed in a former Dominican convent, it has the best collection in the world of works by Fra Angelico, who lived in this monastery. In addition to Fra Angelico, Antonino Pierozzi and Fra 'Bartolomeo, lived there from 1489 Fra' Girolamo Savonarola who made his headquarters in the convent.

The museum visit: ground floor
The cloister of St. Anthony: a cycle dedicated to the stories of life and miracles of St. Anthony Pierozzi
The hospice room: It's the place where originally the most humble pilgrims were greeted
The hall of the Chapter: the complex and allegorical Crucifixion completed in 1442, during the execution which it is said that Fra Angelico was moved to tears.
The church bell (called the crier), attributed to Verrocchio, underwent a curious process as punishment for having played in alarm when the Florentines flocked to the convent to fetch the monk condemned for heresy.

The museum visit: the first floor
In that floor there are forty-five cells where the monks slept and the library. In each, the frescoes of Fra Angelico occupy large proportions and they are always placed on the wall opposite the door, next to window. The frescoes are to be read not as decoration but as an aid to meditation, and constitute a real own spiritual exercise. In front of the stairs is the fresco of the Annunciation, dating from between 1440 and 1450. Another great fresco is located on the opposite side in the hallway and depicts the Crucifixion that drips blood, the foot of which is depicted St. Dominic.

The library Michelozzo
It was built by Michelozzo on explicit request of Cosimo de 'Medici. The classroom is a place to read 45 meters long with a double colonnade of slender Ionic columns, which bounds three naves covered by cross vaults on the sides and center with a barrel vault, supported also by iron rods. It still holds a large amount of precious illuminated manuscripts (well 115). Most of the books go back to the most precious of Cosimo the Elder, and commissioned specifically for this monastery, and there is still kept a collection of works of theology and philosophy.
Cardinal_Tommaso_Inghirami_Raffaello_Sanzio

Florence museum : PALATINE GALLERY

The palatine gallery is a collection of the "paintings" of the Grand Dukes of Florence: the show meets the taste of centuries past, with the pictures placed on multiple criteria selected files with decorative, and not by period or school. Chronologically, with some exceptions, the paintings' covers mainly the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Covering the entire surface of the wall in symmetrical patterns, very faithful to the original staging wanted by the Grand Duke Peter Leopold in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. In particular, at that time it was settle some of the works in the building only a part of the immense Heritage thet the Medici leaved, in principle, with some exceptions, the works of the first period Renaissance to the early sixteenth century. The gallery has about 500 paintings that testify to the personal tastes of collectors various components of the Medici family in 1743 and went to the city of Florence will testamentary heir of the last dynasty of Anna Maria Luisa de 'Medici, who succeeded in this way prevent the loss, as happened to similar collections instead of Rome or of Urbino. At Pitti Palace were also preserved the unique collections of Vittoria della Rovere, wife of Grand Duke Ferdinand II and last heir of the Dukes of Urbino, which were part of a large number of canvases Raphael and Titian. The opening dates back to 1833, with a core of works Raphael, Andrea del Sarto, Titian, and all the masters of the Florentine school in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and some famous works by Caravaggio, Rubens and Van Dyck
E il naufragar m'e' dolce

Florence museum: VASARI CORRIDOR

The Corridor was built by Giorgio Vasari in 1564 for the wedding between Francesco I de 'Medici and Giovanna of Austria, connects the Pitti Palace, residence of the Grand Duke, to Uffizi. The path covered about half-mile, the meat market was replaced with goldsmiths to not disturb the Grand Duke walk (since 1593) In addition to stunning views of the city that you can see from the round windows, the path offers visitors more than 700 paintings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and especially the collection of Portraits of the most famous masters of painting
Florence - Palazzo Vecchio

Florence museum : PALAZZO VECCHIO

The building is attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio who began building it in 1299. Originally the Palazzo dei Priori became the Palazzo della Signoria, when the Duke Cosimo I de 'Medici made it his residence. From 1865 to 1871 was the seat of the Italian Parliament. It was built on the ruins of the palace of the Uberti Ghibelline family, after their expulsion in 1266. After the death of Arnolfo in 1302, was completed in 1314. When Cosimo moved to the Pitti Palace in 1565, called the former residence of the Palazzo Vecchio. Between 1540 and 1550 Vasari enlarged the palace for the needs of the ducal court. the front gives the impression of solidity through the rusticated finish in pietraforte and under the same gallery there is a series of crests to symbolize some special moments of the Florentine Republic:
the coat with a red cross on a white ground, are the signs of the Florentine people
the Florentine lily red on a white ground adopted by the Guelphs at the time of the expulsion of the Ghibellines in 1266
crest white and red represents the link between Florence and Fiesole
the coat of arms with the golden keys on a red field represents loyalty to the papacy
the coat of arms with the inscription Libertas gold on a blue field symbolizes the Lordship
the coat of arms with the red eagle on a white field which bind a green dragon symbolizes the Guelph Party
the coat of arms with the three golden lilies on a blue field, is the King of France and Charles Robert of Anjou
the coat of arms banded black, gold and gold lilies on a blue field is the weapon of Louis of Anjou, King of Hungary
The Tower was built around 1310 when the building was almost finished. About 94 meters high, is decentralized to the south side. In the tower, in addition to the stairs, there is a small room called "the little hotel" in which were kept prisoners, among others, Cosimo the Elder before being exiled (1433) and Girolamo Savonarola before being burned in the streets May 23, 1498. In the balcony of the belfry, Ghibellines with battlements, three bells are attached:
- The Martinella, which the Florentines call to meeting,
- The bell of the south,
- The bell tolls (the largest)

the ground floor:
The first courtyard was designed in 1453 by Michelozzo
The Chamber of Arms, built in 1312, is the only room of the building to retain its original structure
the second courtyard, built in 1494 by the Chronicle to support the "Salone dei Cinquecento"
The third courtyard provided by Vasari, was painted by Bartolomeo Ammannati and Bernardo Buontalenti

The first floor is divided between:
the salon of the Five Hundred
Built in 1494 by Simone del Pollaiuolo, commissioned by Savonarola, Council wanted it for just 500 members.
Study of Francesco I de 'Medici
Vasari designed and built in the Mannerist style (1570-1575) the Hall of Leo X
the Hall of Cosimo the Elder
the Hall of Lorenzo the Magnificent
the Hall of Cosimo I
the Hall of Giovanni delle Bande Nere
the Chapel of Saints Cosmas and Damian
the hall of Clement VII
Ricetto
the Hall of the Two Hundred
Eight of the Hall

The second floor is divided between:
Quarter of the Elements
Quarter of Eleanor
the Cappella dei Priori
the Audience Hall
the Sala dei Gigli
Geographical maps of the room or wardrobe
Old Chancellery
The Lounge
Studio
the gallery above
the mezzanine
The Palace is full of inscriptions and plaques that were affixed over the centuries.
Boboli Gardens

Florence museum: BOBOLI GARDEN

The garden was the model for all the royal gardens of Europe, including Versailles, the park was enriched by the work of Buontalenti, fountains and statues of Ammannati, Giambologna and Tacca, and finally completed by Giulio and Alfonso Parigi (1631-1656). The two architects, father and son realized the stone amphitheater, said the avenue "Viottolone" and the square Isolotto with bathtub. The last additions, like the Kafeehouse (1774-76), the Lawn of the Columns (1776) and Lemon (1785), are due to Lorraine, which transform some areas according to the new romantic taste of the "garden"
Pitti Palace, Florence

Florence museum : PITTI PALACE

At the time when Pitti palace was built, it was the largest residence in Florence. Luca Pitti, a rival of the Medici family, wanted a more luxurious residence of the newly erected by Michelozzo for Cosimo the Elder. As the Strozzi, the Pitti also found themselves in financial difficulties so the works were interrupted in 1464, leaving an unfinished part of the Palace. In 1549-1550 Buonaccorso Pitti sold the building to Eleonora di Toledo, wife of Cosimo I de 'Medici The building became the main residence of the Medici. Leopold was the first Grand Duke of Tuscany, he devoted himself to the government, among other things with great works reforms that modernize the city and state. In the early nineteenth century Pitti palace was used as a residence by Napoleon Bonaparte during his Government of Italy. In 1833, under Leopold II, some parts of the palace were opened to the public as a museum. The Lorraine retired after the vote the annexation of Tuscany to Piedmont, and the palace passed the House of Savoy. The king actually lived there from 1865 when Florence became capital of Italy, until 1871 when the capital was moved to Rome. After several restorations has led to the current system with five museums in different themes and some exhibitions